The predecessor to the Mojito, some historians say the Julep was born in the early 1700s. Usually associated with Bourbon, our Mixologists have used our robust and flavoursome Small Batch Whiskey in this modern take on a cocktail classic. Using fresh, seasonal ingredients, this Teeling Summer Julep is the ultimate accompaniment to your summer evenings!
How to make hand crafted Teeling Summer Juleps at home:
• 35 ml Teeling Small Batch
• Strawberry and balsamic vinegar shrub (a simple strawberry and balsamic vinegar reduction)
• Fresh mint
• Topped with soda & crushed ice
For the shrub:
• 1 cup of sliced, fresh strawberries
• 1 cup of granulated sugar
• 1 cup of balsamic vinegar
• 1 handful of fresh mint leaves
1 Mash all the ingredients together
2 Leave refrigerated overnight
3 Heat gently over a low heat till all the sugar has dissolved
Constructing the cocktail:
1 Pour 25ml of shrub into a suitable glass, preferably a Julep cup.
2 Add 35 ml of Teeling Small Batch and approximately 10 bruised mint leaves.
3 With a mixing spoon, stir the liquid for 20-30 seconds.
4 Add ice (preferably crushed) to the brim of the glass and give the cocktail an additional stir.
5 Add more crushed ice, top off with soda water and some fresh mint and strawberry garnish.
Enjoy with friends!